Building Back Dykes Terrace
In 1939 the Burgh Council planned the new housing development that became
Back Dykes Terrace. Construction seems to have continued to some extent
during the war, but a further extension was approved in 1945. See the items
below from newspapers of the time, retrieved via the British Newspaper
BURGH OF FALKLAND
The TOWN COUNCIL invite TENDERS for the following works in connection
with 24 HOUSES proposed to be erected at BACK DYKES :
— MASON and BRICKWORK. CARPENTRY and JOINER WORK. PLUMBER WORK. PLASTER and CEMENT WORK.
SLATER and ROUGHCAST WORK. PAINTER WORK. GLAZIER WORK. ELECTRIC WORK.
Schedules ol Quantities mav be obtained on application to the
Architect, Mr A. D. Haxton, L.R.I.B.A., Commercial Road, Leven.
may be seen at the office ot the Architect and at the office of the
Sealed Tenders endorsed : — "Tender .......... Work,
24 Houses", to be lodged wlth the undersigned on or belore 6th February 1939.
The Town Council do not bind themselves to accept the lowest or any offer.
A . B . GALLOWAY, Town-Clerk, Bank Buildings, Falkland, 16th January
The Scotsman, 18 January 1939
FALKLAND'S NEW HOUSES
A special meeting of Falkland Town Council was held in the Town Hall.
Approval of the acceptance of the estimates by the Department of Health for
the erection of houses at Back Dykes was intimated.
The successful contractors are:— Mason and brickwork— H. Suttie & Son,
Dunshelt, £3484 0s 11½d; carpenter and joiner, David Dewar, Methil, £2769
13s 2½d; plumber— James Whyte & Sons, Leslie, £1031 6s 5d; plaster and
cement work— J. F. Stobie & Co. Kirkcaldy, £778 6s 8d; slater and
roughcast— W. Currie & Son, Kirkcaldy, £950 8s 10d; painter— A. J. Sneddon,
Kinross, £190 8s 11¾d; glazier— D. A. Sidey & Co., Perth £38 16s 4d;
electric work— Miller & Stables, Dunfermline, £149 8s; fencing— W. Hume &
Co., Perth, £140 14s 6d.
The architect, Mr A. D. Haxton, Leven, submitted a statement showing the
costs of various types of houses to be:— three-apartment flatted, £362 per
house; three apartment cottages £390; four-apartment cottages, £425.
The low prices of the houses have been favourably commented on by the
Board of Health who have pointed out that estimates for similar types
elsewhere have in many cases been very much higher.
Messrs Adamson, Auchtermuchty are to be instructed to pipe in the
burn on the east side of the housing scheme up to the old house, and also to
demolish the latter.
Dundee Evening Telegraph, 8 March 1939
It was agreed to name the new housing scheme Back Dykes Terrace.
Dundee Evening Telegraph, 4 April 1940,
reporting a Falkland Town
ROYAL BURGH OF FALKLAND.
THE TOWN COUNCIL invite Tenders for the following works in connection
with the 48 Houses to be erected at BACK DYKES:—
Mason and Brick Work
Carpenter and Joiner Work
Slater and Roughcast Work
Schedules of Quantities may obtained on application to the Architect.
Mr A. D. HAXTON, F.R.1.B.A.. 5 Scoonie Place. Leven. Plans may seen at the Office
the Architect and at the Office of the Town Clerk, Falkland.
marked “Tender for .... Work 48 Houses" to lodged with the Undersigned on or
before 7th January, 1946.
The Town Council do not bind themselves to accept the
lowest or any offer.
A. B. GALLOWAY, Town Clerk. Bank Buildings. Falkland. 11th
Fife Free Press, & Kirkcaldy Guardian,
15 December 1945
A special meeting of the Town Council was held in the Town Hall on
Wednesday evening — Provost Kennedy presiding over a full attendance of
Estimates were submitted for the repair of roads at West Port, etc., and
the offer of Messrs Adamson, Auchtermuchty, amounting to £188 15s 10d was
accepted. Work is to start immediately.
It was reported that another four 4-roomed houses in the addition to the
municipal housing scheme at Back Dykes Terrace were almost ready for
occupation, and, after full consideration, these were allotted to A. A.
Caira, R. S. Drysdale, D. M'Bain, and R. Stark, tenancy to begin on 4th
On the recommendation of the Clerk of Works it was agreed to allow
overtime for labouring work at the new houses in course of erection at Back
Fifeshire Advertiser, 18 September 1948.