Bridge over Mill Burn
|Name||Bridge over Mill Burn|
|Architect||William Burn (?)|
|OS grid ref||NO 24273 07277|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15′07″N 3°13′26″W|
|HES listing details|
|Reference: LB8766||Date: 01/02/1972||Category: B|
House of Falkland, bridge over Roaring or Mill Burn and adjoining gatepiers
Possibly William Burn, circa 1844. Single-span, round-arched stone bridge with decorative, pierced 5-bay corniced parapets and square-plan coped end piers. Coursed, stugged stone to arch, ashlar to parapets. Base course, corniced coping. Parapet bays with stylized floral quatrefoil design with central rosettes. Curved path with rough rubble walling to S leads to pair of gatepiers.
GATEPIERS: Pair of square-plan, corniced gatepiers to S. Coursed, channelled vermiculated stone. Deep stepped base course.
|Statement of special interest
This ornate bridge and its associated gatepiers are fine decorative features situated close to the House of Falkland (see separate listing) and within its designed landscape, forming a link between what used to be part of the formal gardens of the house and the wilder landscape beyond. [...]