Falkland Historic Buildings:About this Wiki
This page is intended to tell you about the Falkland Historic Buildings Project, what we've been doing, and what still needs to be done.
This site is a wiki, using the same principles as Wikipedia. It was founded in 2020 by Ross Burgess, for the Falkland Society, arising out of the work on the Society's book Falkland and its People 1901–1913.
During August 2020 volunteers from the Falkland Society delivered a leaflet to every listed property within the Falkland Conservation area, and other buildings of interest, asking residents to tell us about their house, giving details such as any previous names the building was known by, and who lived there before 1970 (a 50-year cut-off to protect the privacy of current residents).
The wiki is intended to cover all buildings, roads, and other features in any of:
- the former Royal Burgh of Falkland
- the former Parish of Falkland
- the Falkland Estate
- the current Community Council area
What we've achieved
By December 2021:
- over 400 articles (content pages)
- over 500 images: some have been uploaded directly to this site; others are hosted on Wikimedia Commons, including some we have uploaded ourselves and branded as "Files from the Falkland Historic Buildings Project" and others transferred from the Geograph project. See "Statistics" below.
- araticles for every building in the Parish of Falkland mentioned in:
Articles still needed
There's currently a list of 80+ articles still needing to be created.
Specifically, the aim is to have articles for:
- all listed buildings within the Parish of Falkland (a few still missing, all in in Newton of Falkland or Freuchie)
- all scheduled monuments in the Parish of Falkland (4 out of 8 missing)
- all buildings within the Conservation area and historic core of the Burgh (a few still missing)
- all buildings mentioned in Playfair and Burgess, Falkland and its people 1901–1913 (a few still missing)
- All named streets and roads wtithin the Parish (a few still missing, mainly in Freuchie and Newton of Falkland)
Images still needed
About 100 articles are still classified as "Pages with no pictures".
Some of our existing images could do with replacing by better photographs. Old images showing a scene as it used to be are always welcome.
Other ongoing tasks
- Review all articles still marked as "PAGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION", and either:
- add any missing information, or:
- if the article seems reasonably complete, just remove the marking, or:
- if there are specific points needing addressing, add a talk page and remove the marking.
- For all buildings and places listed on the maps, add a "See map" line in the infobox, including the number where relevant (a few done so far, see Bruce Inn for an example).
- Ensure that all buildings mentioned are listed under the appropriate street
- Where appropriate (good image, no licensing problems) move image to Wikimedia Commons, to save space, and improve visibility of this project.
- Re-think the use of Outlying buildings and the Outlying areas category.
- December 2021: fixed css to ensure images always fit within the screen width
- Improve display on mobile phones
|Date||5 January 2022|
|— of which unused||6|
|Files from Wikimedia Commons||54|
|— of which from Geograph||25|
|— branded for this project||13|
|Total files (images) used||518|
|Pages with no pictures||100|
|"Pages under construction"||17|
See Links and sources.
This wiki has a Wikinode, part of a scheme to link related wikis together, and it has its own page in the WikiIndex, a related project that further groups wikis by language, wiki-engine, edit mode and topical tags.