|Date||13th & 14th centuries|
|OS grid ref||NO 25373 07572|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15′17″N 3°12′22″W|
Falkland Castle is a former castle within the grounds of Falkland Palace.
|HES scheduled monument designation details|
|Reference: SM854||Date: 30/04/1920; amended 27/06/2017||Type: Secular: castle; palace|
|Description (from Canmore)
The foundations of two circular towers, connected by a curtain wall, lie to the north of Falkland Palace (NO20NE 3). They evidently represent the remains of the 'Tower of Falkland' which was levelled in 1337, later rebuilt (and considerably enlarged in the late 15th century) and finally abandoned in 1541, on the completion of the Palace.
An angled terrace in front of the 13th century towers gives the outline of a 17th century building which has otherwise completely disappeared.
|HES listing details (as listed building)|
|Reference: LB8799||Date: 01/02/1972; removed 27/06/2017||Category: B|
Falkland Palace – Castle
13th and 14th centuries, destroyed 1337 and perhaps at least in part subsequently rebuilt. Remains comprise base of large circular well-tower, ashlar-built with triple chamfered ground course linked on north west by curtain wall to circular north tower; very fragmentary.
|Statement of special interest
Scheduled Monument. Built by the Macduffs, Earls of Fife; in 1371 to Robert Stuart Earl of Monteith later Duke of Albany; James II made Falkland a Palace 1460.
|Reason for removal from listing
Scheduling [as a Scheduled Monument] is the more appropriate designation for this structure.
"There was a castle here by 1337, when it was taken by Edward III's army and 'levelled to the ground', but it must have been repaired or rebuilt by 1401, when David, Duke of Rothesay, was imprisoned in the 'tower' of Falkland."