|Date||1786 or earlier|
|See map||Map B|
|OS grid ref||NO 27322 08468|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15′47″N 3°10′30″W|
Lathrisk House is a country house about a mile and a half (2.3 km) north-east of Falkland, now incorporating two studio apartments. Lathrisk is in the historic parish of Kettle, but included here because of its long associations with Falkland.
|HES listing details|
|Reference: LB9042||Date: 01/03/1984||Category: A|
Lathrisk House and gatepiers
Substantially rebuilt 1786 in a simple classical manner, incorporating earlier fabric in rear ranges. 2-storey house, 7 bays, the central wider, advanced and pedimented. [...]
|Statement of special interest
The flanking wings may be earlier than 1786.
|Canmore listing details|
|Canmore ID 29762||Site Number NO20NE 1|
Country House (16th Century)
The west wing of Lathrisk House now known as Old Lathrisk House is now self contained and contains the earliest parts of the house. The vaulted rooms on the ground floor are the oldest part of the present building which maybe 17th century. The house was greatly extended to the east when a new front, now a separate house, was added in c.1785. The interior of the earlier house was probably remodelled at this time and has undergone various further alterations. In the late 19th or early 20th century the present drawing room, dining room and billiard room appear to have taken on their current form.
"The mansion of Lathrisk House dates from several periods: the older parts from the 16th century, where what remains consisting of three adjoining barrel vaults, with walls 5ft thick. The front wing was added in 1783 (M L Pattullo, owner, Lathrisk House), and the most recent work nearly 200 years old, in Kettle parish, Fife, near the right bank of the Eden, 1¾ mile NE of Falkland. Purchased by his ancestor about 1783, the estate is the property of George Johnstone, Esq., who holds 10,005 acres in Fife and 3631 in Perthshire, valued at £14,017 and £1410 per annum.—Ord. Sur., sh. 40, 1867. The exterior has been harled, and presents no obvious datable architectural features. The vaults are as described by OS (DS). The house/mansion, has been greatly modernised beginning with the Johnstone tenure of 1783 to 1914, after which it has gone through a sucession of owners and changes. The only features of interest remaining from the original house or castle being the parallel vaulted chambers on the ground floor. The historian Sibbald refers to its existence in 1710; where the old house with gardens and enclosures, the then seat of Mr Patrick Seaton, a cadet of the Earl of Winton, and who's predecessor of his got these lands by marrying the heiress, of the same name with the lands, Lathrisk; was so noted."
"Smart piend-roofed laird's house reconstructed c.1785. Venetian door under a three-light window in the pedimented centre. Venetian windows in the harled pavilion wings. Muddle of additions at the back. Inside the RCAHMS reported two vaulted ground-floor rooms, probably the vaulted kitchens of the house described by the Caledonian Mercury in 1753 as 'lately built'."
"Fine sequestered mansion on the alluvial plain by the River Eden. Early house is linked by stair bay to classical block with seven-bay east front with Venetian doorway. Venetian-windowed pavilions are extended by quadrant walls and gatepiers to compete a dramatic facade."
- ↑ See HES record for LB9042 for the full description.
- ↑ Further information at Canmore record 29762
- ↑ A History of Lathrisk from the Seton Family website
- ↑ Gifford, Fife, page 303.
- ↑ Pride, Kingdom of Fife, page 90.