|Other names||Tyndall Bruce Monument|
|OS grid ref||NO 22848 07552|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15′15″N 3°14′49″W|
|HES listing details|
|Reference: LB8767||Date: 01/02/1972||Category: B|
House Of Falkland Estate, Tyndall Bruce Monument On Black Hill
Dated 1855. Tall tapering 2-stage obelisk monument on graduated circular base. Squared, stugged rubble. Rusticated margins. Segmental-arched entrance opening to S with flanking narrow round-arched slit openings. Projecting ashlar band course above base. Rectangular memorial plaque to N.
|Statement of special interest
This tall landmark monument was built by Margaret Tyndall Bruce as a memorial to her husband, Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce. Sited at the top of Black Hill, the monument is prominent in the surrounding landscape and is a continuing reminder of the importance of Tyndall Bruce to the House of Falkland Estate. [...]
"Tyndall-Bruce [sic] Monument on Black Hill, 1.4 km W, a large squat obelisk of 1855.
"The Bruce Monument. This building, whose site is on the furthest north ridge of the Black Hill, is progressing rapidly. We understand it is to be above sixty feet in height, and the thickness of the wall at the base is about nine feet. Altogether it promises to be a very massive and lasting building, and, without doubt, will be some ornament to the hill."