|Other names||Lomond Tavern|
|See map||Map D (53)|
|OS grid ref||NO 25284 07301|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15′08″N 3°12′27″W|
The Lomond Tavern is a former public house in Horsemarket, Falkland. After being closed for some months, it reopened in March 2022 as the Lomond Tearoom and Chocolate Shop.
|HES listing details|
|Reference: LB31319||Date: 12/01/1971||Category: C|
Lomond Tavern, Horsemarket
Dated MB 1819 at panel with boot over lintel. 2-storey 3-window (ground floor windows altered to bipartite) painted rubble with painted margins, pantiled.
|Statement of special interest
Re-categorised as C(S) from B for Group (2006).
Mr and Mrs Kennoway.
"An application was received from John Kennoway, miner, East Wemyss, for transfer of certificate for the Lomond Tavern. The clerk read a petition signed by a number of influential residents in Falkland objecting to the granting of the licence.
"Desirable licensed premises for sale. These premises known as Lomond Tavern. All particulars can be obtained from Gibson & Spears, solicitors, Kirkcaldy."
"At the death of Mr Kennoway in October last year, the certificate was transferred to his widow, and from that time the business had been managed by the applicant, Mr Herd, who was Mrs Kennoway’s uncle. Mr Herd had been engaged in the trade all his life. ... The late Mr Kennoway paid £950 for the house, and it kept him and would keep his widow in comfort. There had never been a complaint as to the way in which the house was conducted."
"On the site of the Lomond Tavern car park stood a 2-storey building which, during the Napoleonic wars, housed a number of French prisoners. The Napoleonic Boot now above the Lomond Tavern's door was rescued by the owner a few years ago when the building opposite was demolished."