Stag House and Stag Inn
|Name||Stag House / Stag Inn|
|Address||High Street, Falkland / Mill Wynd, Falkland|
|Postcode||KY15 7BU / KY15 7BT|
|Other names||Foster Room|
|See map||Map D (15)|
|OS grid ref||NO 25205 07377|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15′11″N 3°12′31″W|
Stag House is a private house in Falkland on the corner of High Street and Mill Wynd, between the Old Town House and Mill Green. It was previously the Stag Inn: the current public house of that name has been separated off, and now occupies a bulding next door to the original inn, down Mill Wynd and facing Mill Green. The Stag Inn at one time included the Foster Room Restaurant.
|HES listing details|
|Reference: LB31262||Date: 01/12/1971||Category: B|
Stag Inn, High Street and Mill Wynd
Dated Il.EF 1680 at lintel of wing, front building probably of same period 2-storey 3-window painted stucco with painted margins, pantiled; harled and crowstepped gable to Wynd; much altered single-storey wing to north, rubble and pantile with piended roof.
Previous uses (Stag House)
Special features Stage House)
Gate pier with carving and the words "Stag Inn" (rather faint).
James Weepers (1909)
"Behind [the Old Town House] the Stag Inn, probably late C17. Its single-storey back wing to Mill Wynd dated 1680."
"... The picturesque Stag Inn, 1680, adapted at a later date to sloping corner site."
"The Burgh Court was held on Monday, the Provost and Magistrates on the bench, when three men from Dundee pleaded guilty of a theft of eleven pints of ale from the Stag Inn. Sentence of ten days imprisonment or 7s 6d was imposed."
"James Weepers, Stag Inn, admitted at Cupar Sheriff Court this afternoon having, on 10th June, sold two half glasses of whisky to the Cupar district sanitary inspector under the legal strength of 25 per cent, fixed by the Sale of Food and Drugs Act. ... The Sheriff: I think a nominal penalty will be sufficient here. You will be fined £1."
"Watercolours by Dorothy's late grandfather, Alfred Foster, line the walls of the restaurant which, by coincidence, was known as the Foster Room before Dorothy took over the restaurant, and customers may purchases framed prints of four of the scenes."
- ↑ HES record for LB31262
- ↑ Gifford, Fife, page 220.
- ↑ Pride, Kingdom of Fife, page 88.
- ↑ Fife Herald, 24 July 1901. Quoted in Playfair and Burgess, page 30.
- ↑ Dundee Evening Telegraph (?) 29 July 1909. Quoted in Playfair and Burgess, page 270.
- ↑ The Falkland Directory, Dorothy Murphy was the proprietor at this time.