Old Town House
|Early 20th century|
|Name||Old Town House|
|Address||High Street, Falkland|
|Other names||See Violin Shop; Campbell's Cafe|
|OS grid ref||NO 25224 07378|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15′11″N 3°12′30″W|
The Old Town House is the building in Falkland High Street containing the Violin Shop (historically Bryces's Store) with accommodation above, and Campbell's Cafe (historically the Co-op store and later Warbeck's) with Warbeck House above.
The term has also been used, perhaps erroneously, to refer to Falkland Town Hall.
The three previous buildings on the site were demolished to build it, but the tower at the north side was retained at Mrs Margaret Tyndall Bruce's insistence. Her initials appear on a plaque.
|HES listing details|
|Reference: B31261||Date: 01/12/1971||Category: C|
Savings Bank and Co-operative Building, High Street
Dated 1886. Baronial 2-storey attic and basement, crowstepped 2-gable front to Cross, circular stair tower on N and corbelled angle turret at SE; South basement window has lintel dated 17GKMN50, 17th century moulded doorpiece incorporated on north side.
|Statement of special interest
Cobbled front area to east, partly cobbled pavement on South. Re-categorised as C(S) from B for Group (2006).
"Closing the E side of the 'square' is the Old Town House, tepid baronial dated 1886. Part of a C17 doorpiece is re-used in the NW tower. On its S front, a basement window's lintel is dated 1750."
"Old Town House, 1866, on the west side of The Cross, is in Baronial garb, incorporating earlier relics."