|View from west|
|Name||House of Falkland East Lodge|
|Architect||William Burn (?)|
|See map||Map C|
|OS grid ref||NO 24764 07439|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15′13″N 3°12′57″W|
The East Lodge is a building at the end of West Port, originally the main entrance to the House of Falkland designed landscape. The panel over the door shows the letter b with a marquess's coronet, presumably referencing the Third Marquess of Bute.
Im 2021 it was converted to holiday accommodation.
|HES listing details|
|Reference: LB31350||Date: 12/01/1971||Category: B|
House of Falkland East Lodge and gatepiers
Probably William Burn, circa 1844. Single-storey and attic, 2-bay Tudor lodge with steep-pitched roof and dormers breaking wallhead with decorative timber bargeboarding; later single-storey extension to SW. Coursed, stugged sandstone with ashlar margins. Base course. Chamfered window openings; some with stone mullions. Some stepped hoodmoulding. Deep overhanging bracketed eaves. Pair of tall diamond-shafted ridge chimney stacks. Gabled dormer to E.
W ELEVATION: central gabled porch with interior timber panelled entrance door. Lancet window above.
N ELEVATION: off centre canted bay window with gabled dormer breaking wallhead above. Slightly lower bay to right with piended roof.
Predominantly 4-lying pane fixed timber windows. Grey slates.
GATEPIERS: Pair of square-plan coped gatepiers to drive with acorn finials, with similar flanking pedestrian gatepiers. Balustrades to E and W with urn balusters.
|Statement of special interest
This little altered Tudor style lodge and its associated gatepiers and balustrades are important and distinctive features at the main eastern entry to the House of Falkand Estate. [...]
"Wavily bargeboarded mid-Victorian Lodge
- ↑ HES record for LB31350
- ↑ Gifford, Fife, page 225.