Falkland Post Office
"When Rubinia Reidie was sub-postmistriss in Falkland in 1866 the postman walked twice a day from Falkland to Ladybank and back. The office then was in a shop at the foot of Cross Wynd, and it was rumoured that Rubina slept under the counter. There is a photograph showing the shop to be a tobacconist's while still the post ofice. Later, when it had become a fish and chip shop, it was burned down and the site was eventuarlly absorbed into the Cross Wynd car park. Meantime the post office had become part of Mr Middleton's shop in the Town Hall. With Miss Middleton as postmistress it crossed the High Sreet to Maspie House, now a gift shop but once the home of Falkland's first provost. The next move was to the shop (opposite the palace) which had once been Galloway's emporium, with a postmaster who is also a newsagent, a stationer, a confectioner and a tobacconist."