Falkland Town Hall
|Name||Falkland Town Hall|
|Address||High Street, Falkland|
|Other names||Town House; Old Town House; Townhouse Deli & Bakery|
|OS grid ref||NO 25285 7392|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15′11″N 3°12′27″W|
Falkland Town Hall is the former Town Hall for the Royal Burgh of Falkland, now used as offices above and a delicatessen below. It was built in 1800, replacing the previous Tolbooth.
Not to be confused with the Old Town House, although it is sometimes referred to as such.
|HES listing details|
Falkland Town Hall, High Street
Thomas Barclay 1800–1. Classical, 2-storey with arched openings at ground floor, 3-window fronts to N and E clock tower with octagonal belfry drum and spire. Ashlar with raised quoins, ground floor, painted, slated. 1st floor room has good contemporary ceiling, 1618 and 1715 coats of arms from previous building incorporated in interior.
|Statement of special interest
Category A section of larger group (cont).
Town Hall; shop; post office
Clock with bell.
Enjoyably unpretentious mason's classical, by Thomas Barclay, 1800–1. Three-bay N front with swaggged urns on its centre pediment, the burgh arms carved in the tympanum. Round-arched ground-floor windows; balustered aprons at the first floor. The E front to Back Wynd is a simpler repeat but with the addition of a tower over the centre. Stone balls on its parapets; above, a spired octagonal belfry.
Town House, 1800, Thomas Barclay, is a pre-Baronial triumph.In spite of vernacular surroundings and contrast with the twin-towered Palace entrance its plain classical style has a self-contained dignity. Th squre clock tower, octagonal belfry drum, and faceted spire are nicely proportioned.
[Click on a picture below to see the image full-size]