House of Falkland Stables
|Name||House of Falkland Stables|
|Other names||The Stables|
|Donald A Stewart|
|See map||Map C|
|OS grid ref||NO 24655 07495|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15′14″N 3°13′04″W|
More recently they have been restored to house the Falkland Centre for Stewardship, including a cafe, exhibition gallery and offices.
|HES listing details|
|Reference: LB8764||Date: 01/02/1972||Category: B|
House of Falkland Estate, stables and horsetrough
John Swinton 1822-4; later additions, Donald A Stewart, from 1889. 2 storey, 9-bay, classical former stable block forming quadrangle with prominent timber cupola to S. Coursed, squared rubble to principal elevation (S); rubble to other elevations. Piended dormers breaking wallhead to E and W.
PRINCIPAL ELEVATION TO S: symmetrical. Central, slightly advanced, pedimented segmental archway with 2-stage, octagonal timber weatherboarded tower above. Slatted timber entrance doors with shouldered arched windows to either side flanking central archway. Advanced 2-bay outer bays.
COURTYARD: some segmental-arched openings with 2-leaf part-glazed doors. Small upper level segmental-arched window openings. Forestairs to N and S elevations. Circular cast iron horsetrough with 4 stylised horse legs as supports.
Predominantly 3-over 3- and 6-over 6-pane timber sash and case windows. Rooflights. Grey slates. Ridge stacks. Cast iron rain water goods. Wallhead stacks.
INTERIOR: (partly seen, 2010). S range with timber stalls with metal end posts; hay baskets; cobbled floor; simple cornicing. Offices to N with timber panelling.
|Statement of special interest
This is a fine example of a classically designed courtyard plan stable complex, situated close to the entrance to the House of Falkland Estate. [...]
"Stables on the main approach [to the House of Falkland], built by John Swinton , 1823, with a pediment over the pend arch.Octagonal wooden clock turret above, added by Donald A. Steward, c.1901."