|Address||23 High Street, Falkland|
|Other names||National Hotel|
|Falkland Arms Hotel|
|Hunting Lodge Hotel|
|See map||Map T (3), Map D (27)|
|OS grid ref||NO 25328 07405|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15'11"N 3°12'24"W|
|HES listing details|
|Reference: LB31275||Date: 01/12/1971||Category: B|
Bruce Arms Inn, High Street (including garden walls)
Dated 1607, at inscribed lunette panel, remodelled early 19th century. 3-storey 4-window squared rubble, original moulded openings at first floor, others 19th century with margins, 2 artisan pilastered doorpieces. Back wing with inset pediments dated NMAO 1611, evidently from Moncrief House.
|Statement of special interest
Cobbled Area in Front. Category A section of larger B group.
Early 20th century: Thomas Hardie (died 1901); William Alexander Mason; Mrs Swanson.
"In the crowstepped and pantiled Falkand Arms Hotel's front wall, an inset heraldic stone carved with the date 1607, likely enough for the first floor's roll-moulded windows. [...] The second floor is probably an early C19 addition,contemporary with the pilastered doorpieces."
"These well-known and old established licensed premises known as the Bruce Arms, Hotel, together with stabling and large garden are, owing to the death of the tenant, to be let, with entry at 29th May 1905. The hotel occupies one the best sites in the Royal Burgh of Falkland, and is in close proximity to the Palace of Falkland. For further particulars apply to George Gavin, Factor, Estate Office, Falkland Palace, who will receive offers till 25th February 1905."
"Originally the Coach-house for the Royal party, this traditional Inn is often the next port of call for many of the visitors to the Palace, which is directly opposite. [...] Still to be seen outside the restaurant, which was formerly the stables, are the rings which were used for tethering horses."
"Doorway in passage leading from Hunting Lodge Hotel to public car park.
Initials: HC and TW
A sandstone lintel, probably refurbished."
"[It] occupies the site of a house which was built in 1607, and which was assigned to the Royal Falconer.