|Address||High Street (or The Square), Falkland|
|Other names||Commercial Hotel|
|See map||Map D (21)|
|OS grid ref||NO252073|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15'11"N 3°12'27"W|
The Covenanter Hotel (previously the Commercial Hotel) is an hotel in Falkland High Street.
Google Streetview shows it in October 2009 AS "Luigino's", an Italian restaurant, but it had reverted to being the Covenanters by 2016.
It takes its current name from the Covenanters, a presbyterian religious movement in the 17th century.
The Covenanter Hotel featured in the Outlander television series as "Mrs Baird’s guesthouse", Inverness.
|HES listing details|
|Reference: LB31278||Date: 01/12/1971||Category: B|
Covenanter Hotel (Formerly Commercial Hotel), High Street
Dated 17RBEB71 2-storey 3-window snecked rubble with painted margins, raised quoins, Roman doric columned doorpiece with swagged frieze; scroll-skews, slated. Eastern extension small 2-storey baronial with crowstepped gable and turret c 1870
|Statement of special interest
Cobbled area in front. Category A section of larger group (cont).
The hotel now incorporates, as its eastern extension, the Covenanter Bar, previously a separate establsihment.
John Angus (early 20th century)
"On the S side [of the square} squeezed by the Town House, the diminutive late C19 Baronial Covenanter Bar. ... Covenanter Hotel is dated 1771 on a gable window; on the front, Roman Doric doorpiece with a swagged frieze.
"To be sold by private bargain that property in Falkland belonging to Robert Jackson, and situated near the Cross, consisting of the Commercial Inn, with a well frequented shop, and good cellar, eight stall stables, gig house, barn, hay and saw lofts, also three dwelling houses, and a stable and byre adjoining the former. Offers to be given to Mr. Charles Gulland, Town Clerk, Falkland or Robert Jackson, the proprietor, by the 15th September ."
"13 June 1903: Advertisement
Commercial Hotel. Falkland. John Angus, Proprietor.
FIRST CLASS ACCOMMODATION FOR VISITORS. PICNICS AND EXCURSIONS CATERED FOR.
The above Hotel is provided with every convenience, including a Large Hall adjoining Hotel, specially Erected for Excursion Parties; also, Four Bedrooms, Parlour, and Kitchen, with W.C."