|The building in 2020|
|Address||High Street, Falkland|
|Other names||Reading Room|
|Date||18th century; 1960|
|See map||Map T (20)|
|Map D (59)|
|OS grid ref||NO 25200 07355|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15′10″N 3°12′32″W|
The Electricity Sub-station is a building in Falkland High Street, formerly the Reading Room. The company of Wheeler and Sproson worked on the conversion of the cottage to a sub-station; it was opened in 1960 by Mrs Crichton Stuart.
|HES listing details|
|Reference: LB31284||Date: 01/12/1971||Category: B|
Electricity sub-station High Street
18th century, restored and converted to sub-station 1960. 2-storey 2-window whitewashed harl with margins, slated, gable forestair.
|Statement of special interest
Narrow cobbled pavement in front.
Thomas Drysdale (c. 1850)
"At a meeting of the Cricket Club, held on Thurrsday, it was decided to discontinue the hiring of the Reading Room, as the maintanance was a heavy drain on the funds of the club."