Fish Pond Bridges
|The main bridge|
|Name||Fish Pond Bridges|
|OS grid ref||NO 24710 07443|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15′13″N 3°13′00″W|
These two bridges cross the Mill Burn each end of the pond near the East Lodge of the Falkland designed landscape. One of them carries the path leading up to the Memorial Chapel. The other is not really a bridge but exists as two separate ornamental arches either side of the East Lodge.
|HES listing details|
|Reference: LB31351||Date: 12/01/1971||Category: B|
House of Falkland Estate, fishpond bridges and cascade
1897. Pair of small, semi-circular-arched ornamental bridges with concave, open balustrades and circular terminal piers with conical caps; forming inlet and outlet to fishpond and situated close to East Lodge. Random rubble to arch, spandrels and walls; stone ashlar to parapets. Parapets with decorative urn balusters and square-plan piers. Bridge to E with single parapet. Semi-circular rubble cascade to E.
|Statement of special interest
These distinctive, ornamental bridges sit next to the East Lodge (see separate listing) at the entrance to House of Falkland Estate and are a critical part of the entrance approach to the Estate. [...]
The secondary bridge by the East Lodge