|See map||Map C|
|OS grid ref||NO 24708 07306|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15′08″N 3°13′00″W|
The Memorial Chapel is a roofless building in the House of Falkland designed landscape. It was begun as a memorial to the young son of Lord Ninian Crichton-Stuart and intended to be used as the Roman Catholic church for the neighbourhood, but was unfinished at Lord Ninian's death in action in 1915 and never completed. It contains the graves of several members of the Crichton-Stuart family, and is used as a venue for wedding ceremonies.
|HES listing details|
|Reference: LB31352||Date: 12/01/1971||Category: B|
House of Falkland Estate, Crichton-Stuart Memorial Chapel
Reginald Fairlie, begun 1912, dated 1916. Unfinished, 4-bay, gothic, roofless, crenallated and buttressed memorial chapel, situated on small rise within House of Falkland Estate. Squared and snecked grey sandstone with ashlar margins. Deep base course with moulded band course above. Machicolated moulded cornice with semi-circular corbel brackets beneath. Stepped side and corner buttresses, some with pyramidal caps. Chamfered tripartitie window openings; elaborate tracery. Waterspouts.
WEST ELEVATION (ENTRANCE): near symmetrical. Central round-arched entrance doorway, slightly advanced, with decorative iron gate and moulded hood-mould; flanking buttresses; dated 1916 above left. Segmental-arched window opening above, flanked by pair of empty niches.
NORTH ELEVATION: advanced 2-bay section to left.
EAST ELEVATION: buttressed, with no openings.
SOUTH ELEVATION: Crow-stepped gable to far right.
INTERIOR: nave and aisle, 4-bays. Rubble walls. Round- and pointed- arched openings. Ashlar piers. Several family memorial plaques.
|Statement of special interest
This is an early 20th century memorial chapel, designed by one of Scotland's leading architects for one of Scotland's leading families. [...]
"A roofless shell begun by Reginald Fairlie in 1912 but never finished. Sturdy Scots Late Gothic."
"The corner stone of the new Roman Catholic Church, built by Lord Ninian Crichton-Stuart, to the memory of his son, who died when only three years old, was laid on Saturday afternoon by the Very Rev. the Bishop of Galway in presence of a large attendance of the congregation. It is interesting to note that the whole of the stones and wood for the building was hewn and cut on the estate, and that the church is being entirely built by local tradesmen.
The architect is Mr Reginald Fairlie Edinburgh, and the structure is in the Scottish style, being a modification of St Leonard’s Chapel, St Andrews. It is expected the church will be finished and open for service in 1916.
- ↑ HES record for LB31352
- ↑ Gifford, Fife, page 225.
- ↑ Dundee Courier, 7 July 1913 (quoted in Playfair and Burgess, page 413.