The Falkland Estate has grown and shrunk over the centuries. Currently it includes the House of Falkland and surrounding designed landscape, plus a number of farms, and some holdings within the village of Falkland. At one time it included much more of the Royal Burgh of Falkland, plus Falkland Palace and its gardens.
The Estate was owned by the Bruce/Tyndall Bruce family from 1821 until 1887, when it passed to the third Marquess of Bute and his successors. Ownership of the Estate is now vested in the Falkland Estate Trust (FET).
"The Falkland estate, which is bounded on the south by the Lomond Hills – “the pride and ornament of Fife” – stretches along the fertile plain known as the Howe of Fife, and extends over six thousand acres. There are fifteen large farms all let to excellent tenants. There are fifteen large farms all let to excellent tenants. The more extensive of the holdings are Woodmill (Mr Geo. Dun’s), Falkland Wood (Mr Alex. Shanks‘, a pupil of Mr Henry Thomson Percival, who recently succeeded Mr John Lawson), Easter Cash (Mr Jas. Tod’s), Westfield (Mr Barry Ogilvie’s), Wester Cash (Mr Thos. Philp‘s), Plains (Mr Wm. Ritchie‘s), &c. 
"Paths and tracks run throughout 1900 hectares of land with routes through forest, past active farm land, over burns and to the summit of East Lomond."