Smart Cookies Nursery
|As a nursery in 2020|
|Name||Smart Cookies Nursery|
|Address||Back Wynd, Falkland|
|Other names||Lomondside House|
|Falkland War Memorial Institute|
|Falkland Youth Hostel|
|See map||Map T (11)|
|Map D (46)|
|OS grid ref||NO 25337 07317|
|Latitude & longitude||56°15′09″N 3°12′24″W|
Smart Cookies Nursery is a building in Back Wynd, Falkland, now used as a children's nursery, previously a private house, and youth hostel. It was originally called Lomondside House (not to be confused with the current Lomondside above East Loan.
It was owned by Charles Gulland of Millfield, Town Clerk of Falkland from 1865 until his death in 1909. In 1920 his widow sold it to the War Memorial Committee to be converted to an institute, with reading-room and billiard-room. It later became a youth hostel, then Falkland Backpackers and now the Smart Cookies nursery.
The wall opposite the entrance to Lomondside House is curved, to allow carriages to more easily turn into the drive.
|HES listing details|
|Reference: LB31301||Date: 12/01/1971||Category: C|
Youth Hostel, Back Wynd (including garden walls).
Mid 19th century. Tall 2-storey L-plan modern dry dash harl with margins slated; lower 2-storey west wing pantiled.
|Statement of special interest
Important for group looking up Back Wynd southwards. North elevation badly disfigured by fire escape. Re-categorised as C(S) from B for Group (2006).
Private house; institute; Youth Hostel.
It originally had a much larger garden, part of which has been taken to create the road leading to the car park and Community Hall.
The garden wall of the house opposite has a curve originally allowing carriages to enter the drive.
The fire escape mentioned in the listing description has disappeared, and a cylindrical stair tower has been added in the angle of the L-plan.
Charles Fernie a widower aged 91 in 1901, along with his two unmarried daughters Amelia and Agnes, aged 52 and 51 and general servant, Barbara Jane Hardie aged 29 (1901).
George Gavin, estate overseer (acting factor) – he moved into the Palace in 1906, having been confirmed as factor. James Cochrane, Daisy Cochrane (1911). Mr A. Forrester (works manager at Jackson’s floorcloth factory, 1913).
"Lomondside House belonging to Mr Gulland is the only one of any size to let in the place just now. It is situated off Back Wynd only a few yards beyond Mr Gulland’s bank premises and a few minutes walk from here. It has a very good garden attached and this lies immediately beyond the Bruce Arms, Inn garden. The rent I believe has been £25 per year. Dr Mackay occupied this house a few years ago until he moved into his present one as being more suitable for him. There are two good sized public rooms but the bedrooms are small, however for an ordinary sized family it would be a very good house."
"Allowances for Lomondside House: Paid Falkland Gas Co. for gas for Overseer’s House at Lomond-side from 5th may to 24th Sept. 1902. £1.18s.6d. Paid Charles Gulland half years rent £12.10s. Paid G. Gavin, allowance for upkeep of bicycle £3." Thomas Love & Sons, Perth for removal of Overseer’s furniture here from Moncreiffe.
"To Let, on Lease for 3 or 5 years. Lomondside House, as presently occupied by Mr James Cochrane, containing handsome Dining-Room and Drawing-Room, 4 Bedrooms, Bathroom (H. & C.), Kitchen, Scullery, Servants Bedroom and Lavatory, ample Press Accommodation, also Washing-House, Coal House; and Cottage of 3 Apartments used for storage, with excellent Walled Garden, productive and well stocked, and Poultry Run. Rent £35. Entry Whitsunday 1911. The House may be viewed on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays from 2.30 p.m. to 4.30 p.m. Apply to Alex Anderson, Solicitor, Falkland.
"Falkland's own hostel, offering accommodation for up to 37 guests in two twin bedrooms, four family rooms for 4/5 people, a dormitory with eight beds, and two specially adapted ground floor rooms for disabled guests."
- ↑ HES record for LB31301
- ↑ The statement seems to have got north and south the wrong way round!
- ↑ Letter signed "p.p. William Wood, factor", 16 March 1902 (but written after his death), quoted in Playfair and Burgess, page 46.
- ↑ Falkland Estate papers, quoted in Playfair and Burgess, page 63.
- ↑ Advert in Falkland News, quoted in Playfair and Burgess, page 338
- ↑ Entry for "The Burgh Lodge" in The Falkland Directory.