|See map||Map B|
|OS grid ref||NO 237 073|
|Latitude & longitude|
Westfield is a farm about a mile to the west of Falkland.
"SSE west + SSE field
The farm of Westfield was a creation of the large-scale changes on Nuthill and Falkland Estate undertaken by the Bruces after 1820. It forms a foursome with Annfield, Chancefield and Summerfield, all created in the same period.
At this site a field called The Long West Owre is marked on Falkland Plan/1757. No buildings are marked on the site on Ainslie/Fife (1775). Buildings are marked but not named on the site on SGF (1828).
Two stones carved with Pictish symbols were discovered at NO2384 0372, during demolition of part of the steading of Westfield in 1971 (DES 1971, 21)."
"Thursday 10th July 1902. Sale of cattle and horses at Westfield Farm." [More details given].
"Saturday 10th November 1906. Extensive sale of household furrniture at Westfield, Falkland." [More details given].
"The more extensive of the [Falkland Estate] holdings are Woodmill (Mr Geo. Dun’s), Falkland Wood (Mr Alex. Shanks‘, a pupil of Mr Henry Thomson Percival, who recently succeeded Mr John Lawson), Easter Cash (Mr Jas. Tod’s), Westfield (Mr Barry Ogilvie’s), 'Wester Cash (Mr Thos. Philp‘s), Plains (Mr Wm. Ritchie‘s), &c. "
"At Cupar Sheriff Court, [William Reid was charged with having] mailiciously knocked down stones and made holes in the dyke for a distance of 100 yards at Westfield Farm."
"Messrs Macdonald, Fraser & Co., auctioneers, Perth, conducted an extensive displenishment sale at Westield, the home farm of the Falkland Estate, on behalf of the outgoing tenant, Mr Ogilvie. The farm, which is beautifully situated at the foot of the East Lomond Hill, is being operated by the proprietor, Lord Ninian Stuart, and he was a very large purchaser.
- Dundee Courier, 11 March 1908, quoted in Playfair and Burgess, page 225.
- Taylor, Place-Names, page 183.
- Letter from George Gavin, Factor for the Falkland Estate, 13 May 1902. quoted in Playfair and Burgess, page 48.
- Dundee Courier, 9 July 1902, quoted in Playfair and Burgess, pages 56–57.
- Poster, quoted in Playfair and Burgess, pag 169.
- Fife News, 28 September 1912, and Fife Free Press, 5 October 1912, quoted in Playfair and Burgess, pages 386, 387.
- Dundee Courier, 27 October 1913, quoted in Playfair and Burgess, page 420.